Saturday, February 20, 2016

Where do your priorities lie?



I have had clients addicted to various substances and behaviours in my counselling experience. When it comes to paying me for my services to help them they sometimes say...


“I can’t afford to pay you this week, can I pay next week?”
- OR -
“ I have no money, but can I still come to the session?”



It’s an unfair position to put the counsellor in; the dilemma is that within a helping profession such as this, it is difficult to turn a client down who needs help. It goes against my nature to turn someone away. I allow the unpaid session and I realise as their story continues, that they are infact under the influence of a substance (that they purchased this morning), or did infact deplete their finances to fuel their addiction the day or weekend before they came. This is typical behaviour for people suffering with addictions, logic has trouble prevailing and the fact that they had taken advantage of you can get missed with the condition.

I’ve had clients spend £100’s to £1000’s on cocaine, alcohol and prostitutes just before their counselling session and then tell me they have nothing left to pay me with. I of course take the opportunity to challenge the client’s priorities at this stage and question whether they really want to continue counselling. It's a tough conversation for both of us.

On the other hand, away from addiction, in my experience working as a dental nurse for over 15 years, and being on Tax Credits, I have seen many patients on Income Support and Tax Credits who appeared to have either their nails manicured or their hair professionally styled and some even wearing designer clothing.... People on benefits seem to be able to save for and afford some occasional personal treats as I was also able to do.

Back then, if I had problems coping with life, I would certainly sacrifice certain treats to get the help I needed... Maybe I'm alone in this thinking...

Surely if someone feels their situation is becoming unbearable, thoughts are becoming too irrational and life is increasingly upsetting. Do you still get your acrylic nails done? Or do you put that off briefly and put that money towards some real help with your life? 


Isn't it a matter of Prioritising what finances you do have?


Yes a treat for yourself is certainly a nice quick fix to feel better, but it hasn’t resolved the depression, anxiety, stress or loss that you are feeling overall.

Your options are to just leave things as they are
- OR -
To pop along to the GP and refer yourself to the free NHS service and be put on the waiting list. (This can work for some)
- OR -
You could come along and see us immediately and get started on the road to recovery and wellbeing fast. The nice thing about our therapeutic counsellors is that we are willing to negotiate a session price based on your income to make it affordable for you.

Your decision really depends on:
How long you are able to wait for help with your problems
If you are willing or able to pay something affordable each week...

towards taking steps to improving your life for good.
"I have seen many clients on benefits and agree an affordable price they are happy with. Many have been on the NHS waiting list and couldn't wait any longer. They had only a few sessions with me and felt so much better having left with new skills and new hope. Even at the end of treatment, they still hadn't got their appointment through from the NHS - they were just glad to feel better so much more quickly."
Sam at Therapy for Life 

At Therapy For Life, we tailor your sessions to suit your needs. As integrated therapists we have access to many types of different therapies... And we can see you now!

No comments:

Post a Comment